Sunday, June 13, 2010

The First Trimester

From the day I found out I was pregnant, life has been a whirlwind.  I was four weeks when I got the positive test result and six weeks when Eric and I saw the heartbeat for the first time.  Seeing the heartbeat, was the biggest relief.  It is hard to explain.  Adeline didn't even have arms and legs yet but there was her, what I'm sure is going to be, sweet heart.

So, here is a run down of first trimester...

5 Weeks - While carrying dishes down the stairs, I fell down the stairs.  End scene was me flat on my back, broken glass, and one crying 27 year old.  I am sure Adeline didn't enjoy the ride either.  I called Eric, and I was crying so hard he couldn't understand a word I was saying.  My loving husband left work and drove home to check on me.  One comforting talk later with my husband and a call from the doctor saying everything would be okay I felt much better.

6 Weeks - Eric and I visited the fertility doctor to see if there was a heartbeat.  And there it was.  It was too small to hear but it was definitely in there.  My fertility doctor released me to my OB.  She gave me the best news, "you are a normal pregnant woman now."

Before we left the office, Dr. Harris told us that if we want to try and get pregnant without drugs the second time we may have to try within six months of giving birth.  This about threw Eric into aphletic shock.  No decision yet.  I want to make it through this pregnancy first.

End of 6 Weeks until well even now - Let the morning sickness begin.  For those that have never been pregnant, or been lucky enough to be a pregnant woman who never got sick, let me set something straight about morning sickness - It is completely misleading.  Never was I sick just in the mornings.  We are talking about 24-7 nausea.  The thought of any type of food makes you want to run to the bathroom crying for your mom.  When the only thing refreshing is the bathroom floor, you know things are not good.

It got so bad one Saturday that I didn't even get out of bed.  Eric would periodically bring me some peanut butter toast and water.  He came in once and I was crying because I was just tired of being sick.  One thing about me is that I don't cry so this really freaked him out.  He tried to make me laugh.  He looked at me and as serious as he could be said, "You know, if you were dead, I might clean you up a little bit."  It may sound mean but it made me laugh.  Within minutes, I called my wonderful mom.  She came to my house comforted me, did my laundry, and forced me to eat more food.  I love her.

8 Weeks - First visit with my OB.  Eric was a real sport (we were there for almost three hours).  We had another ultrasound and got to hear the heartbeat for the first time.



At this point, we started sharing our great news with everybody.

12 Weeks - Second visit with OB.  During the ultrasound, we were able to Adeline's legs and arms.



What I've learned so far...

This baby is a miracle.  I know that science can explain how a baby is created but it is so intricate how can someone believe that a higher power isn't involved.

I've always believed that life begins at conception but being pregnant has definitely solidified that belief.

I'm going to be anxious about the health and well being of Adeline for the rest of my life.

The "morning" sickness is very much worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Take it from a girl that was sick the entire pregnancy and hospitalized 5 times for dehydration linked to the nausea that yes, the morning sickness is very much worth it! I hope you have some relief soon! I wouldn't wish hyperemisis gravidarum on anyone! If you ever need to talk to someone that understands, let me know! Congrats to you and Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a wimp after reading your post. Thank you for the sweet note. It's good to know that being sick is "normal".

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of my best friends, and I can't wait to meet Adeline. CAN'T WAIT!

    ReplyDelete