Monday, July 27, 2009

Friends

I have never been one to have lots of girlfriends and to the girlfriends I did have through high school I probably wasn't the best friend. It isn't that I talked about them behind their backs or played tricks on them, I just started dating Eric at a very young age, and he has been my best friend ever since.


Through college to the present, I believe I have improved on my friend abilities. This is not because of some great effort on my part. I have just had the privilege to meet some of the greatest women in the world.


Alayna Adams

If you could pick two people more different (personality wise) and put them in the room together, it would be Alayna and me. Alayna and I were pot-luck roommates our freshman year at UT. I went into the arrangement knowing I was going to be living with a stranger. Alayna on the other hand had been hoping to live with her best friend (a very sweet girl that Ms Woodward is). Well, she was very upset that it didn't work out, and assumed I was going to be some hillbilly that didn't wear shoes. To set the record strait, it isn't like Alayna is from Manhattan. She is from Memphis. I on the other hand thought she was going to be stuck up and rude. Because that is how all rich people in Germantown are.


Well, God knew we needed each other. I was a perfectionist to the point of being unhealthy. And, well, Alayna was not. Her motto in college was, "D is for degree." I thought this was blasphemy. She use to storm into the dorm room and yell, "Are you studying again?" But as the weeks went by, we rubbed off on each other. I didn't stress as much. She studied more (a little more).


I credit Alayna with saving me that semester and semesters to come. She taught me to relax, have fun, and that worrying will do no good. She is a true friend. She is my best friend. I will always love her as if she were my sister. Love you, Alayna.

You should check her blog out SassyMcSmartyPants. There is a link to the left.


Amy Williams

First, I want to point out that I am blogging about this particular subject because of Amy. She has been begging me, "when are you going to blog about how great I am?" I hope I do you justice Amy.


I met Amy 3 years ago at Powell High School. Amy and I had similar clientele so I would often go to her to seek advice. Over time, these mentor sessions turned into true friendship. Any time I need anything, Amy is just one phone call away. She is a beautiful woman with a sweet spirit and great sense of humor (which can be rather crude sometimes...Please consult Eric for clarification). My day is always better when it has involved her. I am a better person for knowing her. I adore you, Amy.

Kandi Seals MacMahan

Kandi has by far the sweetest heart of anyone I know. Kandi and I have known each other since high school but didn't become good friends until college. We became roomies our sophomore year and lived together until the end with Alayna. We were in each other's weddings, cried and laughed for each other during hard times, and never got on each other's nerves, at least she never got on mine.

I just had dinner with Kandi the other night to catch up. It was an extremly over due get-together. Nothing about Kandi has changed and that is what I love about her. Love you, Kandi.

Beth Whitlock Brown

I have known Beth since 1st grade, longer than I have known anyone. We have been the dearest of friends ever since. I moved away at the end of 6th grade, and with the help of our wonderful parents, we managed to stay in touch. Although, I wish I spoke to her more. Beth and I have shared some of the most precious moments together. The most important is the fact we got baptised on the same day and have grown in our faiths together ever since. Even though time and distance have separated us, I know with out a doubt we will remain friends forever. Thank you for always being there, Beth.

Dinner Divas

This is a group of young women that makes me smile every time I see them. I have been blessed to have monthly visits with them. The Divas (aka female version of a hustler) are: Amy Williams, Kacey Wright, Melinda Lentz, Logan Thress, Leah Thress, Hannah Thress, Sarah McAffry, Steph Sherrod, Johanna Bullard, and Allison Mcgregor. I am happy they invited me into their group. They hold me accountable and make me be a better person. But, I do like to think they would fall apart without me though. Until next month, Divas.

2 comments:

  1. Now THIS is the post I've been looking for. LOVE IT. LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. do you remember that phone call we had before ever moving into the dorms? don't know if i ever told you this, but after that phone call i cried like a baby. or, more like an idiot. i ran downstairs to my mom and yelled at her cause i couldn't understand a word you said (because of your accent) and i SWORE you wore torn overalls with no shoes and had buck teeth!! little did i know that God had an awesome plan in store for me. he opened my eyes to new things, new people and gave me another bestie. i can't imagine you not being in my life now. i love you too!

    2. Now for your scoulding. YOU ATE DINNER WITH KANDI AND DIDN'T EVEN TELL ME! NOT EVEN A TEXT! You owe me a phone call, STAT.

    3. I heart your new background. It's really classy!

    ReplyDelete